LONE STAR QUESO

Hey y'all! Sorry I've been MIA. I randomly decided to repaint our kitchen cabinets because I was getting tired of having a dark kitchen. I'll update with before and after photos once I'm done, it is taking three coats since they were so dark before. I'm ready to have it finished! I also fixed up an old piece of furniture that we had in the garage for a coffee bar for the kitchen too, it turned out so cute. I'm excited to share.

I'm going to share my queso recipe today, yay! just in time for Cinco De Mayo!!

I do it the easy way with the crock pot, I once tried using a liner thinking it would help with clean up afterwards, well it did but in the process of making the queso, it made it pretty hard to stir it. So I don't recommend using a liner with this one. We call this Lone Star Queso. 


Lone Star Queso
Ingredients :

  • One can of Rotel Original (drained)
  • One can of cream of celery soup
  • One can of diced green chilies (drained)
  • Two pork chorizo tubes, we find them at Walmart near the cheeses
  • One block of Velveeta Queso Blanco
  • and of course the best chips ever, Julios Tortilla Chips. These might be a Texas thing so if you can't find these, choose whichever chips you'd like. 




Start by cutting the Velveeta in slices, then dice it and toss them in the crock pot. I turn the heat up to high while i'm cooking the chorizo so the queso will get a head start on melting. Once the queso has melted down a little, I drain both the Rotel and diced green chilies and then add them to the crock pot. Next, add the cream of celery soup and stir to mix it all up, and cover with the lid. 

While that's melting down, I start the chorizo. Squeeze both tubes into a non stick pan, and cook on medium heat for 15-20 minutes. It will start out as a paste, once it's finished it'll be more broken up and look more like meat, that's how you know it's finished.



This is what it looks like once it's cooked. Once you drain the grease from the pan, go ahead and add the chorizo to the crock pot and stir till it's mixed in well. Put the lid back on and let it melt for about 10-15 minutes more.


Once it's finished melting down completely, leave the crock pot on warm while it's being served to keep it warm. Grab some of your favorite tortilla chips and Enjoy! 


This queso is always a big hit when we have guest over, sometimes I add salsa and/or guacamole on the side for a trio dipping set up. Hope y'all enjoy this queso as much as we do!

This was my first shared recipe, so bare with me on the instructions. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!


5 comments :